Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on eve

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on every platform?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 22:35:30 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2022-02-19 21:09]:
> > Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 20:51:16 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > > Emacs currentl;y supports building with GTK only on GNU and Unix
> > > systems.
> >
> > That means on Unix-like systems. It is better expressed that way. GNU
> > is Not Unix, true, though it is very much Unix-like, such systems are
> > mentioned as Unices if I remember well.
>
> "GNU and Unix systems" is standard GNU terminology.  We use it in
> umpteen places.

You see here:
https://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html

Quote of RMS:

,----
| GNU, which stands for Gnu's Not Unix, is the name for the complete
| Unix-compatible software system which I am writing so that I can give
| it away free to everyone who can use it.
`----

That is why I say, if you wish to refer to Unix systems, that means
only those which are true Unix systems, but does not mean FreeBSD,
NetBSD, OpenBSD, DragonFlyBSD, and others because such are not Unix
systems, they are Unix-like systems, as they are not registered and
officially recognized as Unix.

Also see:

Unix-like - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix-like

That is why I mentioned that "GNU and other Unix like systems" would
be better descriptive, IMHO.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman