Re: [External] : Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphic

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on every platform?
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 01:21:03 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:

> (Not a reply to any particular msg in this thread.)
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpers_and_splitters

So there are lumpers and splitters ...

I'm a lumper!

Let's see ... can we put it down shorter and more to the point
maybe ...

Lumpers recognize things when they see them and have no
problem accepting that reality cannot be approached as an
exact science.

Meanwhile, splitters are neurotic, by-the-book legalists who
rely on human-formulated definitions - imperfect by nature,
tendentious in character ...

Yeah, that's a good definition, right?

But wait, didn't I just do the splitter thing?

Reboot, I take that back. On the contrary, we are pretty much
alike! Indeed, "Unix" and "Unix-like" are alike, even!

Try this

  (format "%.1f%%" (* 100 (/ (length "Unix") (length "Unix-like") 1.0)))

It turns out, alike is an understatement! We are 44.4%
_identical_!

PS. For the record, that Elisp doesn't show that :) LOL

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal