Purposes of BSD-like systems

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Purposes of BSD-like systems
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:42:52 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2022-02-20 01:47]:
> Samuel Banya wrote:
>
> > Was always curious to maybe switch to a BSD but haven't
> > found one that had a decent installer.
>
> Watch out for the BSD whose purpose is to run Linux!
>
> OpenBSD has a friendly community. The focus on security is
> their code of honor. So if you are into that, if you feel
> Linux isn't secure enough and can't be easily configured to
> meet your standards, sure, try OpenBSD.

Friendly? Just try mentioning GPL.

> The other BSDs I don't know what focus they have, really ...

NetBSD -- to be most compatible over all platforms, OpenBSD to be most
secure, FreeBSD to be the free Unix, DragonFlyBSD for huge computing
if I remember well. And so on, each has a purpose slightly different.

And we all benefit from it. We use much of OpenBSD work in GNU/Linux
systems.

Most promising so far will be Hyperbola/BSD system, that will become
GPL3+ BSD based system.

Insights into Why Hyperbola GNU/Linux is Turning into Hyperbola BSD - It's FOSS
https://itsfoss.com/hyperbola-linux-bsd/

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns