Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on eve

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on every platform?
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 09:13:27 +0800

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> Now we're in blame territory. The "close X display thing" is actually a
> long standing Gtk bug (around Gtk 2). X programs could always connect to
> more than one display, and could close one or more of them. Gtk chose
> to just crash the program when closing a display. This was acknowledged
> as a bug, but never fixed.

FTR, the longer explanation is that GTK+ originally didn't have the
ability to connect to multiple displays, so that was missing from the
GTK+ build of Emacs for a long time.  At some point in the GTK+ 2.x
release cycle (2.6 or 2.8, AFAIR), such a feature was implemented, but
people soon discovered that closing a display would cause a crash in the
toolkit.  That was actually fixed for a couple of releases but soon
reappeared, after which their developers stopped wanting to fix that
bug.