Re: DragonFlyBSD

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: DragonFlyBSD
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 17:03:12 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2022-02-21 08:53]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > What I like is system consistency, like what Debian has,
> > that one can upgrade the system over and over again without
> > reboot, and all things work. Uptime like 536 days or 966
> > days is what I have now on some computers with Debian.
>
> Yeah I've used Debian for a long time, I like it a lot but
> don't say necessarily it is better than other distros.

For me, I look from freedom viewpoint, I cannot recommend Debian as it
will recommend non-free software to fellows. So I exclude non-free and
use those FSF fully free distributions, sometimes self-made
distribution for myself only. It's not that hard to build it yourself.

> In particular, I think the package manager system and whole idea
> installing stuff explicitely from the command line should be
> replaced by a declarative system. It would have rollback features
> and all, but that's not the most important thing, the most important
> thing would be to have the system configurable and setup with
> precision and ease in text files like you do everything else in
> computing ...

I don't like text files. I expect system to be very adjustable through
user friendly menus, not text files.

Yes, I would like something as registry or database with keys and
values, something very firm and error prone. And on GUI I would be
doing it with mouse.

In fact I expect in 21st century that computer knows me enough, so
that I do not need to adjust anything, when I install the system, it
would ask me few questions and I would answer by voice, computer would
set it up. Why I need to configure it in text files in 21st century, I
don't know.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns