Re: Understanding the behaviour of Emacs and Emacs Client

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: Understanding the behaviour of Emacs and Emacs Client
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 14:11:53 +0530

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> [2022-02-23 06:25]:
>> 1. When I launch Emacs by clicking "Emacs" icon from apps. Emacs
>>    launches as usual and shows "Emacs (Client)" near the Activities menu
>>    in Gnome shell. And when I exit Emacs, C-x C-c, it is perfectly
>>    shutdown.
>>
>> 2. When I launch Emacs by clicking "Emacs (Client)" icon from
>>    apps. Emacs launches as expected. And shows "Emacs (Client)" near the
>>    Activities menu. But when I want to exit this instance of Emacs, I
>>    press C-x C-c and the frame is gone. But there is still an Emacs
>>    process running.
>>
>> I want to know if this is the desired behaviour of Emacs. And if Yes
>> then what is the official way to terminate the residual Emacs process in
>> case (2) above?
>
> <<cut>>
>
> I use this file to start Emacs as server, subsequently emacsclient,
> and if Emacs already run as server, I start emacsclient. So I use
> emacsclient all the time.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> export EMACS_SOCKET_NAME="/run/user/1001/emacs/server"
> if pgrep -f "emacs --bg-daemon" > /dev/null
> then
>     espeak "Starting Emacs client"
>     emacsclient -c
> else
>     espeak "Starting Emacs daemon"
>     emacs --bg-daemon
>     sleep 10
>     emacsclient -c
> fi

I understand how to launch the server and how to launch from CLI. May be
that I was not clear enough.

I just want to know how to cleanup (gracefully) the residual process
when there are no more clients connecting. i.e. case (2) above. User has
started Emacs by clicking on the "Emacs (Client)" icon in a graphical
environment.