Re: A peek to the other side

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: A peek to the other side
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 13:05:14 +0100

emacsq via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
writes:

> I tried making a Visual Studio Code extension to see how it could be make
> more emacs-like if I had to use it for something.
>
> If you didn't you don't know how lucky you are with the integrated Elisp
> manual. It doesn't have an integrated manual, you have to browse a huge HTML
> file to find some API call :
>
> https://code.visualstudio.com/api/references/vscode-api
>
> And as usual with APIs (unlike Emacs' open system) you can only access what
> the
> developers expose via the API which is very limiting compared to Emacs.  You
> can't change everything, so you don't shoot yourself in the foot. I prefer
> Emacs' approach where I can even break the system, which is a great learning
> experience.

I definitely agree with you, and just the info manual, but the entire concept of
built-in help. Just having cursor somewhere in an s-expression and pressing C-h
f/v is for me really a time saver.

I think I have personally used Helpful a lot, which is another help package.
I think I have learned a lot from just looking at source code, since it displays
the source code of functions by default. I know you can press a button in
built-in help and be thrown into the source code, but it is much more convenient
to just see it without asking for it. As well as symbol property-list when
debugging, so I really suggest it as addition to built-in help.