Re: Understanding the behaviour of Emacs and Emacs Client

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Understanding the behaviour of Emacs and Emacs Client
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 14:26:50 +0200

> From: Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org>
> Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 08:53:35 +0530
>
> 1. When I launch Emacs by clicking "Emacs" icon from apps. Emacs
>    launches as usual and shows "Emacs (Client)" near the Activities menu
>    in Gnome shell. And when I exit Emacs, C-x C-c, it is perfectly
>    shutdown.
>
> 2. When I launch Emacs by clicking "Emacs (Client)" icon from
>    apps. Emacs launches as expected. And shows "Emacs (Client)" near the
>    Activities menu. But when I want to exit this instance of Emacs, I
>    press C-x C-c and the frame is gone. But there is still an Emacs
>    process running.
>
> I want to know if this is the desired behaviour of Emacs.

Yes.

> And if Yes then what is the official way to terminate the residual
> Emacs process in case (2) above?

The official way is to type "M-x kill-emacs RET".  (But in general, if
you use the "client" icon, the assumption is that you don't want to do
that.  rather, leave the Emacs process running and use the client icon
to open a new frame next time you want to do something in Emacs --
this way, you keep all the history and the buffers inside the
session, and the startup will be faster.)