editing a VC diff to modify the current version

From: emacsq
Subject: editing a VC diff to modify the current version
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 02:22:42 +0000

When I tried vscode I found an interesting feature:

When I modify a file under VC then I always make a diff before checkin to see
everything is right. Sometimes the changes have a typo or a simple modification
occurs to me which could be done right in the diff. With vscode you can
actually edit the diff and the changes are reflected back to the current
version, so you don't have to go back to the file, do the modifications, make a
diff again to see everything is right, etc.

Emacs' manual mentions this about editing diffs:

You can edit a Diff mode buffer like any other buffer. (If it is read-only, you
need to make it writable first; see[Misc
Buffer](https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Misc-Buffer.html).)
 Whenever you edit a hunk, Diff mode attempts to automatically correct the line
numbers in the hunk headers, to ensure that the patch remains correct, and
could still be applied bypatch. To disable automatic line number correction,
change the variablediff-update-on-the-flytonil.

So it seems like emacs supports the other direction, treating the diff as a
patch file which can be applied to the original to get the current version.

These days comparing the current file to the last version under VC seems more
usual, people more often make diffs before commit to see if their current
changes are right, than doing it to make sure the patch file they create is
correct.

Can emacs support the workflow described above? That is applying edits in the
diff buffer automatically to the file on disk. If not then it could be a useful
improvement.