Re: editing a VC diff to modify the current version

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: editing a VC diff to modify the current version
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 21:37:09 -0500

> With vscode you can actually edit the diff and the changes are
> reflected back to the current version, so you don't have to go back to
> the file, do the modifications, make a diff again to see everything is
> right, etc.

Sounds like a great feature.  I'd love to see such a thing added to `diff-mode`.

> So it seems like emacs supports the other direction, treating the diff as
> a patch file which can be applied to the original to get the
> current version.

Yes, most of `diff-mode` features currently available are designed to
let you change the diff before you do something with it (such as split
a hunk so as to apply/unapply only one part).
That's somewhat related to the above VSCode feature but it's indeed not
the same.

        Stefan