Re: keyboard auto repeat

From: Stephen Clark
Subject: Re: keyboard auto repeat
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 13:40:28 -0500

On 2/24/22 13:13, Stephen Clark wrote:
On 2/24/22 12:47, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:34:10 -0500
From: Stephen Clark <sclark46@earthlink.net>

The issue I have if I hold down a key on my keyboard, emacs doesn't respond
until I let go of the key
then all the key presses are processed. This is a pain when scrolling up or down
or on a line, you don't
know where you are until you let go of the key.

$ emacs --version GNU Emacs 26.3 on a Dell Precision M4800 i7 with 32mb of
memory, running ubuntu 20.04 LTS

I have not been able to find a solution to this with google.

I have to slow my keyboard repeat rate down to about 7 cps to be able to see the
characters.
Is this in "emacs -Q"?  If not, you probably have too much stuff on
the post-command-hook, or something else keeping Emacs busy. Take a
hard look at your customizations and find the one(s) that make Emacs
so slow to respond.

Or maybe you are trying this in some major mode that reacts poorly to
such insertions?

FWIW, I have auto-repeat at 25 cps, and Emacs doesn't have any
problems keeping up.
It is not emacs -Q. But thanks for a tip about where to look, probably start by testing with --no-site-file.

Just wanted to say thanks - I removed my init.el file which had been accumulating since the 90's and no more
problems keeping up with the auto repeat key.