Re: no to war in Ukraine

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: no to war in Ukraine
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 14:50:13 +0100

Le lundo, 28-a de februaro 2022, 12-a horo kaj 46:56 CET Jacob Hrbek a écrit :
>  > This list is not for promotion of proprietary software.
>
> One thing is promotion of proprietary software the other is the
> promotion of freedom for which we dedicated our effort to do

since the matter (software freedom) is complex, you can do both at the same time

> It can _NOT_ be called a Free Software and Free Hardware Designs if it's
> used to circumvent the Freedom for 43 _MILLION_ people (that's 43 000
> 000 people!) by violence, war crimes and death.

It can, and it would, but nobody have shown any example of this happening (like
a specific
example of a software used by putin’s army).

If freedom of circulation was used to help a soldier, would you stop calling
that freedom of
circulation? same for freedom of speech? freedom of belief? etc. etc. etc.

You cannot unilaterally decide words have no meaning anymore, or your arbitrary
one, on
the mere basis oppression exists somewhere.

> What i argue for is to enforce the values on which we found Free
> Software

Free Software still is full of communists, with many important people being
procapitalism
socdems, and an overrepresentation even among neonazis: the movement is
politically
very diverse, and the values are difficult to widden further.  To me, for
instance, the link to
anarchocommunism is obvious, but i’m also in the best position to observe it’s
not to most:
otherwise you wouldn’t disagree.

So that’s useless.

You are arguing for the same discursive diversion Ethical Licenses have, on the
ground it is
fair to use oppression (given by the modern power that modern copyright,
elitism and
technological opacity enables) to fight oppression.  I swear this is the EXACT
same mindset
that is enabling russian soldiers to believe they’re fighting for freedom right
now in
ukraine.

> instead of being ignorant and dedicating more resources in this
> namely the second part that majority of Free Software advocates and
> developers comfortably prefer to not exist:
>
>   * Freedom 2: The freedom to /redistribute/ and make copies _so you can
> help your neighbour_
>
> How can you even argue that we are helping our neighbour here?

Since neighboors are numerous and politically diverse, it is obvious in case of
conflict
helping one neighboor is harming another, and vice versa, harming a neighboor
is helping
another.  The freedom shall be guaranteed to avoid oppression using computers.
Typically
the ones against which free software protects: the oppression of some
programmer and or
their boss, over users.  And you are advocating to abandon that fight, and to
increase that
oppression, in order to fight another oppression.  Naively thinking that won’t
last further,
be pushed further, or be used back against you.

> We are
> enabling this violent war criminal who wages the war on freedom with the
> threat of a nuclear missiles on the European Union member countries and
> invasion of finland and swed
> en to kill us and our neighbours and worse
> in my case my slav brothers and sisters.

I am really, really, deeply sorry, we are in the same shit rn.  I try to keep
calm by thinking
of it like an abscess we have to burn out at some point.  Putin always have
been a threat
anyway.  Some solution have to be found.

Unfortunately, nobody in this list has a solution.  Even your propositions are
dummy,
inefficient, and misdirected (you were suggesting to remove freedoms of the
people
oppressed by the same oppressor, and among the most numerous one to protest
against
him).

> Each minute that we hesitate on the subject is a minute of resources
> that we gift to russia to continue in this by maintaining their
> technological infrastructure.

you should know that most of free software is used through distributions that,
even with a
rolling release cycle, would be too slow to act before a such war end.

moreover, whatever we do, the past versions of our software are already
archived on all
the planet (because of caches, local mirrors, etc. including in all russia), so
whatever we
do, it will be as limited as the amount of progress we can do during the war…
so very
limited.

moreover, like several said: copyright is not effective against a state (and
russia is known
not to respect it already), and landwise censorship to be ineffective over the
internet.

therefore, you have no proposition.  it is unfortunate, but your work and its
possibilities
have little to do or relate to this war.  if you want to change something,
gather material
help.  but i think you should first seek for emotional support among the people
closest to
you, as the most calm, the most efficient you will be.

>  > Condemning citizens of single country for what their political
>
> leaders do is wrong.
>
> I am not condemning, i even praised my brothers and sisters in russia
> who take a huge risks to oppose putin by staging mass protests across
> russian federation as "The Heroes of
> Russia"[https://qoto.org/@kreyren/107875192175864676] multiple times and
> i do whatever i can to support them.

no, you advocated and stated you would ban them from your software, how is that
support?

I really wish you everything good that can happen to you, may you be strong…