Re: Font size innacuracies (Windows)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Font size innacuracies (Windows)
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 19:02:13 +0200

> From: Juan José García-Ripoll
>  <juanjose.garciaripoll@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 11:24:21 +0100
>
> First of all, setting "Consolas:pixelsize=14" is wrong. It gives a much
> larger font. The closest I have come to is using "pixelsize=12", but
> even then the text does not have same size. Jumping to "pixelsize=11"
> simply makes the text unreadable.
>
> As example I attach a capture: on the left it is VSCode with Consolas at
> 14px, on the right Emacs. The horizontal width of the characters is
> different, as it is the vertical spacing. This is default Emacs version
> 27.2 with no changes other than the Doom theme.
>
> I know it is nitpicking, but it also affects the configuration of other
> fonts I use for variable spacing. Somehow the jumps in Emacs are wildly
> innacurate and more limited than on other Windows software.

I don't really understand what problems you are trying to solve.  I
see differences in font size and line spacing, but you seem to be
bothered by other issues as well, in particular, with variable-pitch
fonts, about which you didn't say anything specific and didn't show
any screenshots.  So it's hard to say something intelligent about
this, especially since it sounds like what you actually show and
provide details for are not the problems that annoy you the most.

IOW, please be more specific and provide more details and perhaps
screenshots.