Re: Font size innacuracies (Windows)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Font size innacuracies (Windows)
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 19:14:07 +0200

> From: Juan José García-Ripoll
>  <juanjose.garciaripoll@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 16:16:12 +0100
>
> I don't know. In principle the manual states that one can select pixels
> in the name of the font, e.g. in set-frame-font. I tried it and changing
> "Consolas:pixelsize=14" to "Consolas:pixelsize=12" does indeed change
> the size.
>
> In any case, what bothers me is that (i) even if Windows screws the
> conversion, I do not find a suitable point or pixel size that matches
> other applications (ii) the density of characters is different, both
> vertically and horizontally, despite being monospaced fonts, (iii) the
> difference in kerning and spacing is more remarked for variable-pitch
> fonts.

FWIW, I don't see such a big difference between sizes on my system, I
see a very slight difference that is barely noticeable.  I compared
Emacs with MS Word using the same font, both for the default Courier
New and Consolas fonts.

Are you sure that "other application" doesn't have some settings that
enlarge the font and/or apply some non-default line spacing?

And again, if you say the problems are more severe with variable-pitch
fonts, please show those more severe problems, because otherwise it's
hard to understand what are the problems you are talking about.  (I
don't have VSCode installed, and don't plan on installing it, sorry.)