Re: Font size innacuracies (Windows)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Font size innacuracies (Windows)
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 22:13:03 +0200

> From: Juan José García-Ripoll
>  <juanjose.garciaripoll@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 08:19:30 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> > I don't really understand what problems you are trying to solve.  I
> > see differences in font size and line spacing, but you seem to be
> > bothered by other issues as well, in particular, with variable-pitch
> > fonts, about which you didn't say anything specific
>
> I have given up variable pitch fonts for the moment. I would like first
> to fix the monospaced font issue. That would make me happy. I mentioned
> the variable pitch font differences, and can provide further examples,
> but I feel monospaced should be easier to debug or understand, and maybe
> solving that also corrects other discrepancies. Don't you agree?

As I don't yet understand well enough what are your problems with
variable-pitch fonts, I cannot say whether looking at fixed-pitch
fonts will identify the same problems or quite different ones.  But
I'm okay talking about the latter if that's what you want.

So what are your problems with fixed-pitch fonts?  The size problem
doesn't sound serious to me: why does it matter that you need to
select a slightly different size in Emacs?

Line spacing differences is probably due to spacing added by VSCode.
You can do that in Emacs as well: see the documentation of the
'line-spacing' variable.  The default in Emacs is not to add any
spacing between lines.