Re: Using built-in modus themes

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Using built-in modus themes
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 08:29:55 +0000

Tor Kringeland <tor.a.s.kringeland@ntnu.no> writes:

> I'm trying to configure and use the modus themes as described in [1].
> I'm on a build of Emacs 29 so these are built in.  While I can enable
> the themes by using `load-theme', if I execute
>
>   (require 'modus-themes)
>
> as described in [1] I get an error saying that the file is missing.
> However if I first load a theme using `load-theme', then executing the
> above yields no error.
>
> Shouldn't running the above work since the themes are part of Emacs now
> (so that I could put it in my config)?  I'm running `emacs -Q' and this
> fails then.

I agree, it should, an I have also had issues with this problem.

>From what I see, the "issue" is that modus-themes is not in the
`load-path'.  When you `load-theme' one of the two modus-themes,
`modus-themes' is also added to `features', the list maintaining
activated features.  `require' checks this list before loading a
feature, and as it has already been added, no error is thrown and it
appears to work.

One way this could be solved would be to add the themes directory to
`load-path', but I suspect there is some reason this hasn't been done
already.

(I have CC'ed Protesilaos to see what he has to say).

--
        Philip Kaludercic