Re: flycheck mode gives error: file-missing "Doing vfork"

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: flycheck mode gives error: file-missing "Doing vfork"
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 15:58:53 +0100

    Eric> Hello all,
    Eric> I am trying to start using flycheck (installed from MELPA) for prose
    Eric> checking.  I have installed proselint.  When I try to start up
    Eric> flycheck-mode, I get the error:

    Eric> Error while checking syntax automatically:
    Eric>   (file-missing "Doing vfork" "No such file or directory")

    Eric> which tells me absolutely nothing that I can follow up on to try to
fix
    Eric> whatever is wrong.  I've tried searching in flycheck itself for "Doing
    Eric> vfork" but no luck.  Does anybody have any idea what to do or what I
am
    Eric> doing wrong?

That error is generated by emacs when it tries to spawn a process, and
then canʼt find it. Iʼd search for `call-process' or `make-process',
in flycheck and/or proselint and see if the program itʼs trying to run
can be found by emacs using `executable-find'. If not, you may need to
adjust your `exec-path' or a configuration variable.

You could also try setting `debug-on-error' to t, but I guess flycheck
might trap errors.

Robert