Re: Making a regex string that matches (

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: Making a regex string that matches (
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 09:13:20 -0600

angelomolina--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> How can I make a regex string if I want to search for (.

For interactive use, the key sequence (C=Control, M=Alt/Mod):

C-M s (

For programmatic use, you can use

M-x regexp-builder RET

to start up regexp-builder which will let you build regexps
interactively and show the matches in the buffer where you were
working. You will see that

"("

works.

C-c C-q

deletes the *RE-Builder* window that was created (the buffer remains, so
you can re-use it).

-----

Btw, I noticed that regexp-builder is part of GNU Emacs, but there is no
documentation in the manual. The only documentation is found by looking
at the docstring of the function.

Leo