Re: major mode for G-Code?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: major mode for G-Code?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 06:13:27 +0100

Jacob Hrbek wrote:

> someone poke me if there is such major mode my 3D-printing
> life would be improved by at least 400% with that

Okay, I'm NOT starting this project now since there is
a gcode-mode in MELPA!

  Version: 20210522.1025
  Website: https://gitlab.com/wavexx/gcode-mode.el
  Maintainer: Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@thregr.org>

> ... preferably with something that will tell me what the
> G-CODE means so that i don't have to keep searching that on
> the web like a pleb

It seems to have that! Here is what it says: [last]

(I CC this to Mr. D'Elia BTW ...)

  `gcode-mode' performs basic syntax highlighting on G-Code
  files (mostly aimed at 3D printers), also providing optional
  instruction lookup with ElDoc.

  Once installed, all gcode files automatically open in this
  mode. To also automatically enable ElDoc in G-Code files
  use:

    (add-hook 'gcode-mode-hook 'eldoc-mode)

  ElDoc will provide brief descriptions of the current
  instruction at point. Embedded documentation is provided
  thanks to both the RepRap Wiki[0] and the Marlin
  Documentation[1] projects.

  [0] https://reprap.org/wiki/G-code
  [1] https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/MarlinDocumentation/

--