Re: Is there a way of setting a variable only when it exists?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Is there a way of setting a variable only when it exists?
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 01:47:44 +0100

> What if it's an internal Emacs variable which might become a user option
> one day (I submitted a bug report about it) and then my customization
> silently disappears?

That normally does not happen.  `defcustom' doesn't alter existing
bindings.  You can still `setq' a user option.  There is no problem
unless the "meaning" of the variable values changed in an backward
incompatible way.  I guess nothing can protect against that.

The only notable case I can think of is when things change so that
setting the variable doesn't have the expected effect any more because
the custom setter has gotten additional side effects (more than only
setting the value).  Is that your concern?

Michael.