Re: how to force auto-save of buffers not visiting files, right now?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: how to force auto-save of buffers not visiting files, right now?
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 23:07:18 +0100

hw <hw@adminart.net> writes:

> Think it through: You can only undo when nothing goes wrong.  With
> copies of buffers being autmatically saved to auto-save files, you
> can recover from the auto-save files when something does go wrong.
> When nothing goes wrong, these buffers and auto-save files automatically
> go away.

What are these "something"s that make undo not work but have no effect
on your auto-saving?  How do you check if "nothing goes wrong" and these
auto-save files can be deleted?

With only abstract "things that go wrong" and claiming auto save files
solve all problems and undo none, without being more specific, I can't
say much more.

If you want files and you feel safe with having them, nothing wrong with
that.

And yes, Emacs could perform better with the information collected by
undo.  "undo-tree.el" is one approach to achieve that.  AFAIR it now
supports also saving undo histories.

In your scenario however I would expect that when "something goes wrong"
you just hit undo and get the former buffer contents, and that's it.

Michael.