Re: Question about display-buffer-overriding-action

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: Question about display-buffer-overriding-action
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 01:56:25 -0300

Hi Michael,

> Note that `man' is a special (and rare) case: Emacs `man' works
> asynchronously; when the buffer has been rendered and the result gets
> displayed, your `let' is long gone.
>
> See `Man-notify-when-ready' and `Man-notify-method' for how the buffer
> gets displayed.
>
> You probably need an appropriate man buffer specific entry in the
> top-level binding of `display-buffer-alist' to get what you want.

I spent a lot of time trying to decypher man's code a few
years ago and I think that the right way to do that is with
a "(let ((Man-notify-method ...)) ...)", as in:

  (let ((Man-notify-method 'pushy))
    (man "cat"))

See the comments and links here:

  (find-eev "eev-blinks.el" "find-man")
  http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eev-blinks.el.html#find-man

> Maybe it works for women?

Do you use woman? Most people only mention woman for jokes...
Man and woman handle windows differently. I tried this - and
its interactive version, of course - and woman opened the
manpage in the current window:

  (woman-find-file "/usr/share/man/man1/cat.1.gz")

Cheers,
  Eduardo
  http://angg.twu.net/#eev