Re: auto-save directory?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: auto-save directory?
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 07:10:35 +0100

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 05:06:55AM +0100, hw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if there is a way to have emacs put all auto-save files
> into a configurable directory.  We can set `tramp-auto-save-directory`,
> but there doesn't seem an equivalent option for files that are not
> remote.  I couldn't find one in either the documentation, nor the source.
>
> I'd find it nicer to have all auto-save files in one place instead of
> all over the place.  Is there such an option, and if there isn't, would
> that be worth making a feature request?

You can modify the variable `auto-save-file-name-transforms' to replace
the leading part of the path to a value which suits you. Besides, you
might want to do something about the further slashes.

By default, Emacs comes with one transform defined for remote files
(whose auto-saved twins end up locally). Perhaps you can reuse this,
if it suits you.

Cheers