Re: Emacs --with-pgtk and use-package

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Emacs --with-pgtk and use-package
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 20:15:38 +0800

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:

> Then I purchased a HiDPI monitor and everything looked so tiny in it. I
> tried scale using ‘xrandr’ (i3 and hence X11). This made everything
> blurry.

Scaling with xrandr is very undesirable on a HiDPI monitor, since it
just upscales the screen contents.  I have no idea why people try it at
all these days.  Most likely what you actually want is to tell programs
the DPI of the display, by setting the Xft.dpi X resource.

> I tried to use ‘sway’ (on wayland) and used scaling provided by
> ‘sway’. All gtk based applications looked good. Emacs was still
> blurry. So I tried to build ‘--with-pgtk’. Now that scalling is working
> fine in Emacs as well. But ‘use-package’ has stopped working.

That's a bug.  Please try to determine why it stopped working.

> 2. Is there any other solution to scaling problem without using pgtk?

Yes, but it depends on what you did wrong earlier.

Thanks..