Re: Problem with native-compilation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problem with native-compilation
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 10:04:16 +0300

> From: Jonas Damm <emails@jonas-damm.de>
> Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 23:17:38 +0100
>
> I compiled Emacs with the native-compilation option.

Which version of Emacs?

> After installing
> the org-contacts package from nongnu org-contrib, at first everything
> works as expected.
>
> However, after the compiling in the background is done, some functions
> are broken:
>

> Warning (comp): org-contacts.el:648:13: Warning: the function ‘start’ is not
> known to be defined. Disable showing Disable logging
> Warning (comp): org-contacts.el:593:12: Warning: the function ‘lexical-let*’
> is not known to be defined. Disable showing Disable logging
> Warning (comp): org-contacts.el:505:4: Warning: the function ‘list*’ is not
> known to be defined. Disable showing Disable logging
> Warning (comp): org-contacts.el:459:4: Warning: the function ‘lexical-let’ is
> not known to be defined. Disable showing Disable logging
> Warning (comp): org-contacts.el:372:28: Warning: the function ‘values’ is not
> known to be defined. Disable showing Disable logging
> Warning (comp): org-contacts.el:330:44: Warning: the function ‘first’ is not
> known to be defined. Disable showing Disable logging
>

> After this, message-tab does not work anymore so i can not complete
> addresses in mu4e anymore.

What is org-contacts.el?  I don't see it in Emacs.

>From the messages you show, it sounds like org-contacts.el has
problems that are flagged by the native compilation, in particular it
needs to (require 'cl) (for lexical-let*) and probably other packages
to resolve the other "not known to be defined" problems.

You need to be aware that JIT native compilation happens in a separate
pristine Emacs process, which doesn't know about any packages you have
loaded in the process that requests the compilation.  So native
compilation flags any problems caused by compiling a file in "emacs -Q".