Re: Switch buffers without modifying the buffer list ordering?

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: Switch buffers without modifying the buffer list ordering?
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 15:25:53 -0700

fwiw i also have similar issues as i have f keys bound to next and
prev buffers and want things like recent stuff nearby.

others know more, but i think the buffer list is only partly under
user control.  if you go through contortions like a loop or somthing
it might be possible to do anything you want with it, but that's more
of a workaround than an actual control of it.

to address your subject header q, windows and buffers are different.

but ime various operations can change the buffer list unexpectedly, as
evidenced by familairity with it used in a use case where you use next
and prev a lot.  switching windows might be one of them.  also a lot
of commands do bury-buffer.

i have noticed tht a strange operation that seems outwardly like it
should maybe be a noop someties fixes the problem of a buffer
"disappearing" from the buffer list [i.e. going to someplace that is
not nearby wrt next and prev].

i have also noticed that emacs treats buffers differently in the
buffer list if they have different names.  i am not sure about leading
spc buffers, but *buffers* are definitely treated differently.  i
think they can disappear more.

i have resorted to doing the seeming noop in defadvice and in ariosu
places just to guard superstitiously against the disappearing buffer
problem.  idk if tht problem is related to yours, but it probably is.

here it is
(switch-to-buffer (current-buffer))

--
The Kafka Pandemic