Re: How do you inspect variables when debugging with EDebug?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How do you inspect variables when debugging with EDebug?
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 10:20:08 -0400

I think it's worth pointing out that while EDebug is quite nice (and
was great when it came out), it hasn't seen much development on the UI
side over the last 20 years.

So yes there are many things that could be added to improve it.
This thread already mentioned:
- A display of local vars.
- A way to get the value of the variable under point.
I would add to that:
- A way to "go back".  Probably not true reverse execution, but at
  least a way to move back&forth in time to see which values were returned
  where (this just requires keeping around the sequence of return values
  along with the corresponding buffer position).
- A way to ask Edebug to "finish the current loop" or more generally to
  run without stopping until we exit the currently surrounding sexp.

        Stefan