Re: Error with tramp-archive-autoload-file-name-handler

From: Felix Dietrich
Subject: Re: Error with tramp-archive-autoload-file-name-handler
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 14:00:51 +0200

> I've found out a bit more background I think:
>
> When I start Emacs, tramp-archive-enabled is t.  But loading
> tramp-archive.el sets it to nil (probably because some dependencies are
> missing).  I guess that for you it is still t, and that's the reason why
> the recipe(s) didn't work for you.

Did you compile Emacs without D-Bus support and/or is Emacs unable to
run gvfsd-fuse?  This seems to be what decides the value of
‘tramp-gvfs-enabled’, which is, at a quick glance, used to set
‘tramp-archive-enabled’ (in tramp-archive.el and tramp-gvfs.el,
respectively).

> Anyway, when `tramp-archive-autoload-file-name-handler' is present after
> tramp-archive-enabled has become nil, it is used and called but doesn't
> handle the request (i.e. returns nil).  AFAIU, that was what I have been
> seeing.

Could the tramp error handler provide a more helpful error message in
cases where it currently just returns nil?  Or are there limitations
prohibiting this, for example in how Emacs processes file handlers?

--
Felix Dietrich