Re: How to automatically align to first word of previous line?

From: TRS-80
Subject: Re: How to automatically align to first word of previous line?
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 17:32:46 -0400

On 2022-03-03 03:11, Jean Louis wrote:
I have this particular situation below, where I would like to avoid
position (1) and rather get automatically into the position (2), where
text after ❰    ❱ shall be automatically aligned in the second line to
the begin of first word in the first line.

Position 1:

❰    ❱ Next step is to report the school and abuses of children'
rights to Ministry of Education.

Position 2:

❰    ❱ Next step is to report the school and abuses of children'
       rights to Ministry of Education.

I see that TAB works, the text moves to first line, though is there
any way in Emacs to automatically invoke such alignment?

It looks to me like you want a list of check boxes? If so, Org Mode will do this, and along with ~adaptive-wrap-prefix-mode~, will also soft wrap the left side automatically.

Which reminds me, you did not specify if you wanted a 'hard' (inserting actual spaces/tabs) or 'soft' (display only) wrapping. Most of other solutions mentioned will give you the former. But maybe that's what you want?

Cheers,
TRS-80