Re: Fido mode

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Fido mode
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 12:30:06 +0000

binarydigitz01 via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> I recently tried to set up orderless with fido mode, but it didn't
> work. The maintainer of orderless helped me figure out that fido mode
> doesn't respect completion-style, and always sets it to flex. Can
> anyone explain to me why does it do that? Because I really liked it,
> but this is a deal breaker.

>From what I understand, fido-mode reproduces the behaviour of ido-mode
(hence fido -> "fake" ido I assume) using icomplete.  The difference
between ido and icomplete is that ido just remaps a few commands like
find-find-file, write-file, ... manually with commands that do
interactive narrowing and completion, while icomplete modifies the
lower-level completion system itself, without changing any specific
binding.  That means that icomplete also works for commands ido doesn't
know about (e.g. any command that uses completing-read).  What fido does
is to try and take advantage of this, while preserving the general
behaviour of ido -- that to my knowledge doesn't have anything to do
with the completion styles.

So what you might be interested in is icomplete, instead of fido.  Of
course there are also other packages on ELPA such as Vertico and Ivy
that are worth checking out too, to get a more complete picture.

--
        Philip Kaludercic