Re: Special configuration needed for eww + gnutls? [emacs 28.1]

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Special configuration needed for eww + gnutls? [emacs 28.1]
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 16:14:43 +0200

    Kaushal> I tried updating gnutls locally on my machine (where I don't have
root
    Kaushal> privileges)
    Kaushal> - Tried to update gnutls, but it failed because I don't have
libnettle.
    Kaushal> - Tried to install libnettle, but if failed because
    Kaushal> "downloads/nettle-3.7.3/examples/nettle-openssl.c:408: undefined
    Kaushal> reference to `EVP_MD_CTX_new'"

    Kaushal> I guess I will have to ask the sysadmin to update the gnutls lib.

    Kaushal> Thanks for your help! This explains why eww works for me the last
time
    Kaushal> it worked (> 2 years back) and why it doesn't work now.

I guess if you really,really want to use eww on that machine, you
could install gnutls-cli in your home directory somewhere, and
persuade emacs to use it instead of the built-in support (either by
explicitly disabling gnutls when configuring or by overriding
`gnutls-available-p'). Donʼt use the resulting emacs for anything
important, though 🙂

Robert