Re: cannot load fonts

From: Luca Ferrari
Subject: Re: cannot load fonts
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:11:22 +0200

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 3:04 PM Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've compiled Emacs 28.1 without any particular option on Ubuntu
> 20.04. Then I've placed the following in my startup file:

I found there is a much more annoying problem that I cannot fix: if I
select the menu 'Set Default Font', the font menu has only three items
with "misc", "courier" and "fontset". This prevents me to select any
decent font in the system, and I don't know how to fix it.
I've tried to load emacs with, in turn, --no-x-resources,
--no-init-file, --no-site-file but nothing changes.
I don't have any font settings in XResoucres:

% xrdb -query
*customization: -color
Xcursor.size:   36
Xcursor.theme:  breeze_cursors
Xft.antialias:  1
Xft.hinting:    1
Xft.hintstyle:  hintslight
Xft.rgba:       rgb

I've tied to recompile emacs with --with-x-toolkit=yes or
--with-x-toolkit=gtk3 but nothing changes.
If I install ubuntu stock emacs (26!) it works as expected and gives
me a full list of fonts.
Anybody has a clue to fix the problem with my emacs 28?

Thanks,
Luca