Re: Navigating an enormous code base

From: Leo Liu
Subject: Re: Navigating an enormous code base
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:39:40 +0800

On 2022-04-28 08:42 +0200, Marcus Harnisch wrote:
> As far as my work pattern with Global/ggtags is concerned, I create a
> full index rarely. Usually only when the repository can be expected to
> have changed significantly (pull, merge with upstream, etc).
>
> Global can do single-file updates, which I think ggtags executes in
> ‘after-save-hook’ or something, so your own changes will be tracked.
> Creating the database with the sqlite3 backend is supposed to perform
> much better with these partial updates.

This is true. There is a customisable threshold ggtags-oversize-limit. I
used to test ggtags regularly on the Linux kernel source and it was very
fast IOW I was not disappointed.

If source files are changed outside emacs for example by git pull,
ggtags will notice and reindex. For example if M-. jumps to a location
that is off I often M-, and then M-. again to trigger reindex
immediately.

HTH,
Leo