Re: Help making a map-do/seq-do based code work on emacs 26.3

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Help making a map-do/seq-do based code work on emacs 26.3
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 14:32:15 -0400

>> For `seq`, yes, but `map` is not in GNU ELPA.
> map is actually available from GNU ELPA.

Indeed, I didn't check carefully enough.  Even better!

> I couldn't do (package-install 'map) from an emacs 26.3 session.

My crystal ball says it's just because of a lack of
`package-refresh-contents` or something like that somewhere.

> But running (package-install-file "tomelr.el") installed the newer map
> and seq from GNU ELPA.

Great.

> So I am hoping that when a user installs the new tomelr version from
> GNU ELPA (on Emacs 26.3), it will install the newer map and seq
> versions for them as well.

It will, indeed.

> ===(defun tomelr-install ()
[...]
>     ;; Below require will auto-create `package-user-dir' it doesn't exist.
>     (require 'package)
>
>     ;; Load emacs packages and activate them.
>     ;; Don't delete this line.
>     (package-initialize)                  ;
>     ;; `package-initialize' call is required before any of the below
>     ;; can happen.

This call to `package-initialize` should not be necessary on recent
Emacsen (but it used to be needed, indeed).  If you find it's still
necessary with Emacs `master`, please report it as a bug.

        Stefan