Re: don't show dired header

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: don't show dired header
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 20:58:35 +0200

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

>> I think this line
>>
>>   /home/incal/.emacs.d/emacs-init: (32.8 GiB available)
>>
>> is pretty meaningless, can I disable it and instead get an
>> extra line to list the directory files?
>
> Well, the name of the current directory is pretty useful
> here

Nope, I have that in the mode line, see the screenshot

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/figures/emacs/dired.png

> and you don't actually lose anything with displaying the
> available space, no?

What you loose is one line of file listing. In the screenshot
I could have 13, but have 12. As a math professional, how do
you compute the possible improvement which BTW should be easy,
almost trivial to implement (and if it isn't, dired's code
isn't good!).

Uhm, is this right?

(format "%+0.1f%%" (- (* (/ 13 12.0) 100) 100))

> BTW, you can disable showing the available space (check out
> the `dired-free-space' variable). I don't think you can
> disable displaying the directory, though.

Good, but you don't get the percent with that.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal