[QUESTION] buffer-substring-no-properties returned string not display Ch

From: Christopher M. Miles
Subject: [QUESTION] buffer-substring-no-properties returned string not display Chinese correctly
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 12:38:03 +0800

When I use this code to read a file content which contains Chinese text.
The returned string does not displaying Chinese correctly.

Here is the code snippet:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun org-link-beautify--preview-text-file (file lines)
  "Return first LINES of FILE."
  (with-temp-buffer
    (condition-case nil
        (progn
          (insert-file-contents-literally file)
          (format "%s\n"
                  (mapconcat
                   'concat
                   ;; extract lines of file contents
                   (cl-loop repeat lines
                            unless (eobp)
                            collect (prog1 (buffer-substring-no-properties ;
FIXME: the encoding of Chinese text is wrong.
                                            (line-beginning-position)
                                            (line-end-position))
                                      (forward-line 1)))
                   "\n")))
      (file-error
       ;; XXX: reference to free variable ‘noerror’.
       (funcall (if noerror #'message #'user-error)
                        "Unable to read file %S"
                        file)
           nil))))

(org-link-beautify--preview-text-file
 (expand-file-name "~/Code/Emacs/org-link-beautify/README.org")
 5)
#+end_src

Here is the file content:

#+begin_src org :file "README.org"
,* Motivation

美化并预览 Org Mode 的链接。支持一些文件的缩略图,预览,等特性。

Usually Org links only have text, it's not very intuitive to recognize what type
of link it is. Add some color and icon, even image preview will help user read
links.
#+end_src

--
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3