Re: Indentation with spaces

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Indentation with spaces
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 11:45:23 +0200

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>> Why is `indent-tabs-mode' t by default? Tabs should not
>> be used.
>
> We say that today. I've been using some version of Emacs
> since the early 1980s. Before the appearance of
> indentation-sensitive languages like Python a literal TAB
> when the TAB key was pressed made sense.

Okay, why is that?

I have written some Python and while I don't like the
"indentation sensitiveness" the discussion can go both ways and
it's up to them to decide what to do with their language.

But how does that influence anything and in particular
other languages?

And besides I have spaces in my Python as well:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/sth/sth.py

Just like in Lisp:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/comic-book-insult.el

The only exception is makefiles

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/Makefile

That I always thought was because that make(1) (GNU make)
program explicitely looked for TABs so in that case it was
enforced. I never asked why and didn't think about finding out
either, some leftover from the dinosaur age probable that one
just accepted ...

Explain please ...

--
underground experts united