Re: Indentation with spaces

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Indentation with spaces
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 12:29:39 +0200

goncholden wrote:

> Python is garbage as far as I am concerned.

It doesn't look or feel cool like Lisp but development is
super-fast. I think an experienced Lisp programmer writes the
typical program in slightly more time than a Python
novice does.

It's the langauge itself, but also all the resources on the
web and everywhere else including source, Q&As, books, you
name it ... because of its popularity.

I think for these and other reasons it's better than shell
scripts (it's interactive, or can be) and it's much less of
a learning curve (and again faster development) compared to
Perl and other comparable languages for comparable
applications and use cases that I know of.

Lisp is cooler, looks better and might be more powerful in
terms of the language's expressiveness, other than those things
(which are important, no doubt) I think Python would win most
other Progralympic disciplines vs Lisp ... TBH!

> The designers thought it would be neat to give semantic
> meaning to whitespace. Why on earth would they give semantic
> meaning to something that cannot be seen? Who thought that
> was a good idea?

It makes the code uniform from person to person in a way that
makes sense (in one particular "sense", the enforced one, but
still) - there are advantages with this both reading, writing
and understanding - advantages related not the least to what
I just mentioned, Python's one killer advantage, the
development speed.

Trust me, I wrote a Python bot which is employed as we speak
working well and not crashing, and I did this very fast
knowing nothing about Python and even less about IRC. It just
happens with Python ... somehow.

https://dataswamp.org/~incal/#sth

--
underground experts united