Re: [External] : Re: Indentation with spaces

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Indentation with spaces
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 07:16:26 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:

>>> Why is `indent-tabs-mode' t by default? Tabs should not
>>> be used.
>>
>> The world is split between 3 factions:
>> - those users who absolutely cannot tolerate TABs.
>> - those users who absolutely cannot tolerate the use of SPC instead of
>>   TAB to indent.
>> - those users who have a life.
>
> Hooray! If the closed-world hypothesis applies then I can
> now say I have a life!

I don't get it joke but

  The Closed World Assumption (CWA) is the assumption that
  what is not known to be true must be false. The Open World
  Assumption (OWA) is the opposite. In other words, it is the
  assumption that what is not known to be true is
  simply unknown. [1]

Interesting! OWA seems reasonable but how did they come up
with CWA, when is that useful and what's closed about it,
that you know what you know to be true and every thing else
you then and by that can tell is false. So it's a complete
state of the knowledge sphere, that's what's closed about it?

A closed interval of integers, say [1, 3] means the endpoints
are included, so as a Lisp list that would be '(1 2 3). But an
open or half-open interval, e.g. [1, 3) only includes
everything up to the endpoint but not the actual endpoint, so
that, again [1, 3) would be '(1 2). I don't know, "open" and
"closed"?

Then there is the Open Door Policy - new and old imperial
powers do business with China on equal terms, and in return
they won't disintegrate the whole country and split between
themselves LOL :)

[1]
https://www.dataversity.net/introduction-to-open-world-assumption-vs-closed-world-assumption/

--