Re: Indentation with spaces

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Indentation with spaces
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 07:38:25 +0200

Christopher Dimech wrote:

> Particularly at universities where the pressure is
> completion of the work rather than the algorithms
> themselves.

Nope, Lisp is a POWERHOUSE in the university world, not
compared to Python which is big, maybe bigger there as well,
no I mean compared to the Lisp _outside_ the university world
where Lisp is a ... MINIATURE power TOOL in the hands of
a few, very skilled programmers.

One point tho is that people that do the CS thing often think
Lisp is "functional", Lisp is older than the programming
paradigms and besides one can do whatever with Lisp, by all
means including a style that some people will call
functional ...

> At very serious level, I prefer that a program pushes itself
> as far as it can, even with errors, but completes.

??? Programs that have errors don't complete.

> That is actually a far better design as far as languages
> are concerned.

Hahaha :)

> The problem I see, is that many who have used python as
> their first language is also their last, with some expecting
> their experience should spill over to other languages.

Right, that's like the problem with many carpenters these days
with only ONE tool. One would think all that skill with the
hammer would spill over to the knife, for example? But no and
it worries me.

>> Lisp is cooler, looks better and might be more powerful in
>> terms of the language's expressiveness, other than those things
>> (which are important, no doubt) I think Python would win most
>> other Progralympic disciplines vs Lisp ... TBH!
>
> Python is slow

Compared to C++? Why do you think that is?

> and does not scale for large projects

Why not?

> And you cannot always split up an algorithm in situations
> when doing so would result in an increase in
> algorithmic complexity.

:)

> Universities, particularly science and mathematics
> departments frustrate me too much these days.

You don't say! :)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal