Re: Indentation with spaces

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Indentation with spaces
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 08:16:44 +0200

------- Original Message -------
On Saturday, June 11th, 2022 at 5:38 PM, Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org>
wrote:

> Christopher Dimech wrote:
>
> > Particularly at universities where the pressure is
> > completion of the work rather than the algorithms
> > themselves.
>

> Nope, Lisp is a POWERHOUSE in the university world, not
> compared to Python which is big, maybe bigger there as well,
> no I mean compared to the Lisp outside the university world
> where Lisp is a ... MINIATURE power TOOL in the hands of
> a few, very skilled programmers.
>
> One point tho is that people that do the CS thing often think
> Lisp is "functional", Lisp is older than the programming
> paradigms and besides one can do whatever with Lisp, by all
> means including a style that some people will call
> functional ...
>
> > At very serious level, I prefer that a program pushes itself
> > as far as it can, even with errors, but completes.
>

> ??? Programs that have errors don't complete.
>
> > That is actually a far better design as far as languages
> > are concerned.
>

> Hahaha :)
>
> > The problem I see, is that many who have used python as
> > their first language is also their last, with some expecting
> > their experience should spill over to other languages.

I know departments that only use one language.

> Right, that's like the problem with many carpenters these days
> with only ONE tool. One would think all that skill with the
> hammer would spill over to the knife, for example? But no and
> it worries me.
>
> > > Lisp is cooler, looks better and might be more powerful in
> > > terms of the language's expressiveness, other than those things
> > > (which are important, no doubt) I think Python would win most
> > > other Progralympic disciplines vs Lisp ... TBH!
> >
> > Python is slow
>

> Compared to C++? Why do you think that is?

Fortran

> > and does not scale for large projects
>

> Why not?

Fortran always had optimization as a main focus.

> > And you cannot always split up an algorithm in situations
> > when doing so would result in an increase in
> > algorithmic complexity.
>

> :)
>
> > Universities, particularly science and mathematics
> > departments frustrate me too much these days.

Professors saying they know only one language and that's it.
Others sticking with one algorithm and that's it.  This was
in Spain and in Canada.  Best useful experience has always
been an industrial one.