Re: Spaces rather than tabs by a major mode hook

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Spaces rather than tabs by a major mode hook
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 10:35:41 +0300

> Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 00:05:25 +0000
> From: goncholden <goncholden@protonmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > Yuri Khan wrote:
> >
> > > Major modes where spaces or tabs are syntactically
> > > significant, such as makefile-mode and python-mode, already
> > > override indent-tabs-mode.
>
> Have found that fortran-mode suffers from problems for legacy code
> programming styles.

Actually, what we found is that you personally didn't bother to look
for and find the customization options which would allow Emacs to
support such legacy code 100%.

> > > Set indent-tabs-mode for your global preference. Deal with
> > > exceptions on a case-by-case basis, when and if you
> > > encounter them.
>
> That would require quite an effort for a user to set up.

That setup should be done only once.  When you complete doing it, and
save the customized options, they will be used thereafter for the
other files.  There are also facilities to make those customizations
effective only for files under a certain directory, in case changing
them globally is not what you want.

> It is  better for Emacs to have the functionality available and let the user
> select them on or off.

See my other message: this is already available.  You just didn't
bother using it or even reading about it.