Re: Spaces rather than tabs by a major mode hook

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Spaces rather than tabs by a major mode hook
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 14:50:20 +0300

> Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 11:15:59 +0000
> From: goncholden <goncholden@protonmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > Emacs doesn't impose any style. By "style" I meant how many columns
> > should each construct be indented. In Emacs, you can set all the
> > parameters of the style one by one via the menu I mentioned, and you
> > can do that according to the style used by whoever wrote these files.
> > Then you save your customizations, and Emacs will henceforth
> > automatically indent according to the style you defined by your
> > customizations.
>
> Let me rephrase again.  Emacs imposes indentation rules by requiring said
> customisations.

Emacs requires you to customize, once, the indentation so that it
could thereafter help you by indenting everything automatically to
suit the indentation style.  That's a win by any measure.

> The question about how many columns should each construct be indented, has no
> answer.

It should be possible to answer that question by just examining the
file you posted.

Alternatively, you could just reindent the entire file according to
the defaults, like this:

   C-x h
   C-M-\

and then keep making changes without any customizations.