RE: [External] : Re: Indentation with spaces

From: goncholden
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Indentation with spaces
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 20:31:38 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Sunday, June 12th, 2022 at 3:43 AM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> > At any rate, my rudeness is not important because
> > I am not the one making the emacs decisions.
> > I can only describe my difficulties, that's it.
>

> Rudeness can make a difference in the degree to
> which others want to help you when you ask for help.
>
> There are typically some who will always be willing
> to help, to some extent, but you might miss out some.
>
> Whether giving up some rudeness for (possibly) more
> or better help from others is worth it, is of course
> up to the help-requestor to decide.

Can give up some rudeness, sure.  The problem is much more complicated, so it
is taking long time for developers to understand the nature of legacy code.
Have any of them really worked with legacy fortran code written by many people.
 I mean real legacy from the late 1950's to late 1980's.

Describing why it’s bad, and how to do it in the correct way, is not the
answer.  I often see people refer to any fixed-form source as legacy fortran,
even if it includes modern features.  That's where people are going wrong.