RE: [External] : Re: Indentation with spaces

From: goncholden
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Indentation with spaces
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 03:08:57 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Sunday, June 12th, 2022 at 2:21 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> > The problem is much more complicated, so it is
> > taking long time for developers to understand
> > the nature of legacy code. Have any of them
> > really worked with legacy fortran code written
> > by many people[?]. I mean real legacy from the
> > late 1950's to late 1980's.
>

> I can't speak for "developers". But I have - I've
> worked with legacy Fortran code from the 50s, 60s,
> 70s, and 80s. I've even written some of it.
>
> If you don't find your happiness with Emacs then
> you might consider using another editor. I've
> also used editors from that prehistoric period -
> maybe one of those will be more to your liking.

My plan was to stimulate happiness with Emacs even for these
codes, without using other editors.

> I prefer Emacs, though TBH I haven't used it with
> Fortran. But your mileage may vary. Fortunately
> it's easy to return Emacs and get your money back.
> Quick and easy. Actually, don't even bother to
> return it.

You see.  That was my whole point when others start bashing
who they want to call novices, when they themselves cannot
back their called solutions with real experience with such
codes on emacs.

Looks like electric-indent-mode was doing this behaviour.
Meaning that electric indendation should be enabled carefully
on legacy code.

> > > The smart-ass kid showed a clenched fist to the
> > > guru, and asked what was in the fist. The reply:
> > > a bird. The kid asked whether it was alive or
> > > dead. The reply: "That's up to you."

> It really is up to you. Nobody's forcing you
> to find peace with Emacs, let alone to find your
> happiness with it.
>
> People here (and elsewhere, where you've apparently
> repeated the same question) are just trying to help
> you. Clearly they're not succeeding at that, which
> I guess is too bad.

It just takes time and the possibility that those considered
gurus in the society overestimate their ability or knowledge.