Re: Netiquette is way to go

From: goncholden
Subject: Re: Netiquette is way to go
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 23:25:15 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Monday, June 13th, 2022 at 6:13 AM, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * goncholden goncholden@protonmail.com [2022-06-12 20:50]:
>
> > Correct. It is much better than the easy dodging of the problem
> > that insists on reformatting the whole codebase so as to adhere with
> > some design spucification of an editor. Because the attitude of
> > some of the current maintainers is that if I do not like it, choose
> > another editor so we can continue with our way of doing things.
>

> I have fully understood your problem even before reading the
> subsequent discussion.
>
> On this planet we human have specific rules of behavior, manner or
> etiquette. There is something called netiquette as well, for network
> related communication.
>
> On GNU mailing lists we strive, but not force, to adhere to the below
> guidelines.
>
> GNU Kind Communications Guidelines
> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/kind-communication.html
>
> For me, I totally understand your style of talking and did not find
> anything offensive. This may be because I have spent time in parts of
> world with similar communication style. There are parts of world where
> heavy profanities are used to greet familiar people and it means
> nothing.

Come on now.  I worked in England, the United States, and France.  Do you
really think they conquered the world by being nice?  Perhaps when inside their
own country.  Everywhere else, it doubt that very much.

> I can fully understand Drew and Eli, as your style of talking is
> simply not proper for everybody and everywhere.

I will tell you about netiquette.  There has been a tendency for prescriptive
and rigid advice based on personal ideologies, rather than listening about the
struggles of users in whatever difficulties they are encountering.  When one is
telling time and time again about an unsolved problem, why do maintainers
continue to forcefully insist that it makes no sense to disable automatic
indentation or automatic re-indentation?  One time these things did not exist
and people managed their projects quite well even then.  But now people have
got so used to them that they have become totally dependent on them.  Their
world view has changed so drastically that if someone else wants to do it
differently, it must surely be nonsense.

How can you speak of netiquette when the real problems are not raised on the
agenda, falling into a spiral of silence.  To put it naively as a pessimist
conclusion of what will happen in spite of protests here and there in that we
will probably continue to slide toward some kind of apocalypse awaiting large
catastrophes to awaken us.  I don't accept any optimism when somebody tries to
convince me that in spite of all the problems there is a light at the end of
the tunnel.  My instant reply is yes and it's probably another train coming
towards us.

> You are in global communication exchange. Mailing list spans any
> countries on the planet. We have different ways of expressing
> ourselves and we have to find common ways. GNU Kind Communication
> Guideline is a way to reach that goal.
>
> It is good reading books about international business manners, that
> will give you idea how to get communication across in such way that it
> does not get rejected due to your local style of expressions.

> Issue is to find global common and acceptable style of
> communication. Maybe following references may help further:

Please understand this, you will not ever find a global common and acceptable
style of communication.   But learn to accept all forms of styles of
communication.  This is why I have continued the discussion that got us to an
understanding of the automatic processes within emacs that have to be disabled
so I can do what is needed.

Go ask many people and tribes across the world (e.g. the Massai ) if they want
to move to america, the uk, or russia.  They would say, definitely not, never.
In the international theatre, there are no rules to say that we must play the
game with your rules.

Kind Regards