Re: Netiquette is way to go

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Netiquette is way to go
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:43:29 +0300

* Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> [2022-06-13 10:18]:
> Because you did not ask about automatic indentation.  From the point of
> view of everyone except you, you were asking how to adapt the Emacs
> Fortran indentation rules to your (legacy) code, and not how to disable
> automatic indentation.

How I see it: user did not express himself about "indentation" but
tried in his own words to explain what is happening and what is
desired.

We cannot expect of users new to Emacs to know what is
electric-indent-mode as that is too high expectation. I gave example
of indentation mentioned in other editors, Emacs does not offer
a menu item where indentation can be set.

We cannot tell to users "why you did not ask about
electric-indent-mode" as that means we have too high expectations.

We cannot even expect users to read the manual first before asking on
the mailing list for help. As by reading manual one would find out
that indentation is automatic.

I use Emacs long time, and I did not know that indentation is
automatic until I read the manual yesterday to find out about it. I
was under impression that I have set the indentation in my init.el and
forgot about it.

We can't have too high expectations on this mailing list. This is not
for experienced users only, not for developers, it is for "Help".

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman