Re: Editing Java (with LSP)

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: Editing Java (with LSP)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 21:13:34 +0200

    AB> By the way, which system are you on? I'm currently using Arch
    AB> (non meme intended) and I suspect my system can be buggy by
    AB> misconfiguration.

I’m on NixOS but I don’t think it’s much important.  The distribution
provides Emacs and the rest (add-ons + jdtls) is fetched by Emacs itself.

    >> From time to time, I experience similar symptoms like those you
    >> describe.  In such a case, I delete ~/.emacs.d/.cache and
    >> ~/.emacs.d/eclipse.jdt.ls.  Then it fetches jdtls, reindexes the
    >> project and starts working fine again.

    AB> I figured out that, apparently, a simple M-x
    AB> lsp-workspace-restart is sufficient. Meaning that it seems that
    AB> it is the server that crashes, so restarting it solves the
    AB> problem. Of course, it is not normal it crashes so often, but
    AB> anyway.

If it crashes often, I’d try deleting the caches as suggested above.
It may or may not help but if it starts crashing for me then there is no
other help.

    AB> In case, I'll use IntelliJ, it'll simply means that Emacs is not
    AB> ready yet to be used for Java editing. Which I think it's a
    AB> shame, because I think it has the potentiality to do so.

Sure.  But while lsp-mode is a must, dap-mode is optional.  It’s OK to
run a standalone debugger, there is not that much need for integration
with Emacs there.  Of course, having everything in Emacs would be nice,
but I do Java programming only for living so I prefer getting it done
using what’s available at the moment.  I tried to look into dap-mode
briefly once or twice but it didn’t look like easy fixes.