Re: Fastest way for users to change between functionalities

From: kf
Subject: Re: Fastest way for users to change between functionalities
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 10:13:04 -0400

On 6/11/22 2:34 AM, goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
What would be the fastest way for users to change between several modes of
functionalities?

Minibuffer selections? Function calling with keybinding can be difficult
because one needs keys to bind them to. When one has many packages enabled, it
is difficult to find what good keybinding to use.

It can be difficult to determine a keybinding which thereafter will be intuitive. I imagine being in the situation to use it and think about where my fingers want to go. I also think of similarities to similar functionalities.

Once having thought of candidates, I use C-h k <candidate keybinding> to find if that keybinding is already defined (is already being used by some other functionality). If it's not already defined, then it can be used.

It's a bit more work, but I also add the keybinding to a menu so that (1) a mouseclick can invoke that funcitonality, and (2) I can easily find what the keybinding is later when I've forgotten it. :)

hth