Re: [External] : Tab completion and electric-indent-mode

From: carlmarcos
Subject: Re: [External] : Tab completion and electric-indent-mode
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 17:35:45 +0200 (CEST)

Jun 18, 2022, 08:17 by eliz@gnu.org:

>> Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 10:05:54 +0200 (CEST)
>> From: carlmarcos@tutanota.com
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>>
>>  What exactly indentation and reindentation do depends on the current
>>  major mode. electric-indent-mode just makes the mode-specific
>>  indentation to happen automatically in certain situations, where Emacs
>>  thinks the user expects reindentation.
>>
>>  If you want to know how a specific major mode indents text, you need
>>  to look for answers in that mode, not in electric-indent-mode, because
>>  the latter simply cannot give you the answer.
>>
>> How can a user get that information, are there commands for that?
>>

> The commands for that are the usual Help commands, but you need to
> apply them to the major mode you are interested in.

Can you provide an example?  I could not find a list of all the
programming major-modes in emacs manual.

Called "C-h f mhtml-mode" for instance, which never discusses any
indentation rules.  For embedded JS, the documentation says that
code elements are indented using the rules from ‘js-mode’.  But
then, doing "M-h f js-mode" does not describe any indentation
rules.

>> Toggle on-the-fly reindentation of text lines (Electric Indent mode).
>>
>>  When enabled, this reindents whenever the hook `electric-indent-functions'
>>  returns non-nil, or if you insert one of the "electric characters".
>>  The electric characters normally include the newline, but can
>>  also include other characters as needed by the major mode; see
>>  `electric-indent-chars' for the actual list.
>>
>>  By "reindent" we mean remove any existing indentation, and then
>>  indent the line according to context and rules of the major mode.
>>
>> Can there be a clarification that reindentation removes the existing
>> indentation
>> with new indentation rules applied?
>>

> ??? Isn't the above saying precisely that?  Or maybe I don't understand
> what you need clarified?

By the definition of "re-" meaning "again"?  Thus re-indent
corresponds to indent again.  Ok